As we welcome the warmer days, fresh breezes and golden rays of sunshine, we feel that urge to throw open the windows and clean the dirt and dust that settled in our home over the winter. Spring represents a fresh, new start and spring cleaning gives us just that. Its a chance to reset everything in your home and catch up on all those cleaning tasks you’ve been meaning to do, but just haven’t gotten to. Whether you love to clean or hate it, there is no denying a good spring-cleaning is a worthwhile exercise. Not only is it good for your home - it is good for you. Here are 6 reasons why cleaning out the closets, reorganizing the drawers, scrubbing, polishing, and vacuuming your home can benefit your personal health and wellbeing.
1. Spring Cleaning Makes You More Efficient - It takes dedicated time and effort to declutter and organize your home but this will save you a lot of time and frustration in the future when you are looking for items. Organization experts say that this makes you more productive, while the cleaning process itself can increase energy levels. Helpful Tip: Learn to let go. If you haven't used something in a long while, maybe it’s time to say goodbye.
2. Spring Cleaning is Healthy - A good spring-cleaning can help you avoid allergy symptoms). Removing allergens such as dust, pet dander, and spring pollen from your home can help you feel healthier, especially at a time when allergies are common. Helpful Tip: Don’t overlook hard-to-reach areas including ceiling fans, tops of doors and windows, behind large pieces of furniture, and grout. Change pillows – not just pillow cases.
3. Spring Cleaning Reduces Stress - Cleaning and organizing your personal spaces lets you enjoy a tidier and more organized home and this can relieve stress. Just looking at clutter can stress levels - reducing clutter can be calming. The cleaning process itself is considered therapeutic, so stress levels can actually be reduced while cleaning. Helpful Tip: Be realistic on how much you can accomplish in the time you have. It's not a race – do what you can.
4. Spring Cleaning Helps You Focus - Clearing away the clutter frees up your mind for more essential decision-making or creative thinking. A thorough clean helps to clear your mind of the things that need to be done around the house and makes it easier to focus on things that are more important. Helpful Tip: Clear the most visible clutter first, so you immediately see your progress.
5. Spring Cleaning With Safer Cleaners Reduces Safety Concerns - Cleaning the hard surfaces in your home with cleaners that are comprised of safer ingredients provides assurance that not only is your home clean, but your children and pets are safe from toxic chemicals. Not only will you feel good about the clean, you won’t be concerned or feel guilty about your choice of cleaners. Helpful Tip: Look for cleaners that are Safer Choice Certified.
6. Spring Cleaning Makes You Happy - Taking the time to thoroughly clean and maintain a tidy home makes people happier. Shiny clean surfaces, fresh clean fragrances, and organized closets and drawers make you feel good. The act of cleaning itself provides a sense of accomplishment, which in turn can put you in a happy mood. Helpful Tip: Put on some of your favorite tunes to make cleaning more fun.
Happy Healthy Spring Cleaning!