“We are now producing nearly 300 million tons of plastic every year, half of which is for single use. More than 8 million tons of plastic is dumped into our oceans every year.” (PlasticOceans.org)
Everyone enjoys the oceans, beaches and clean drinking water, but we all need to do our part in reducing our use of plastic so we can continue to do so.
Here are many tips to help you reduce your plastic consumption and keep the earth clean and green!
- Stop using plastic straws! Tell restaurants you don’t need one. If you still love your straws, buy stainless steel or glass straws.
- Use reusable shopping bags at the grocery store. Keep a bag tucked in your front seat to help you remember them when you go to the store. A single plastic bag can take 1,000 years to degrade!
- Always have a reusable water bottle or coffee mug with you. They can be used at more restaurants and to-go shops than you think.
- Buy boxes rather than bottles whenever possible of products such as laundry and dishwasher detergent.
- Use glass instead of plastic food storage containers – you can even reheat your food in them safely.
- Try cleaning products that come in refillable, reusable bottles to reduce your use of single-use plastic bottles.
If we all try one or two of these suggestions every day, we can make a huge difference in reducing the plastic waste created each year.